WELCOME FELLOW AMERICAN!
This website is aimed exclusively at helping Americans in Indonesia, and no one else (see this article about us in the Thursday, Sept 6, 2012 Jakarta Post about us).
It is strictly non-profit, not connected to any government in any way, and all volunteer based. It has been developed by a group of American volunteer expats in Indonesia with the goals of keeping Americans in Indonesia:
• Informed about laws, regulations and insider information that impact American expats in Indonesia — originating either in the US or Indonesia
• Entertained and amused as the opportunity presents itself
• And primarily to provide
• Our main purpose is to help Americans here VOTE.
If you like, we’ll even help you with the registration process, help you get your absentee ballot, and even get you the “FWAB”, should your absentee ballot not arrive in your rice field on time.
If you'd like to post comments on our articles, just fill out our very simple and completely confidential membership form. If you do we promise to walk you through the entire voting process in each election and to keep you informed of important events for us. Alternatively you can just sign up for our email bulletins and we'll send you periodic updates and important announcements.
Sent just a few times/year & we promise to keep you informed on
VOTING & OTHER IMPORTANT-TO-YOU MATTERS
and nothing else
NEW! TIME TO VOTE FROM HERE COMING SOON!
Have you requested your ballot so you can vote from here this November? If not, NOW is the time to do it -- many states have deadlines soon in order to properly register and request your ballot for the ultra-important 2016 Senate and Congressional elections (as well as other Governor and local elections). Primary elections will be starting soon.
Note that if you hare properly registered, you should receive your ballot from your state official (by email) -- they are required to send those out 45 days prior to the election date. It's all now very simple to take this step:
- Simply go to www.VoteFromAbroad.org (VFA) and answer the questions. The site will generate all the forms you need and give you complete instructions.
- When you receive your ballot, fill it out and return as requested by your state. Complete instructions will be included.
- Pat yourself on the back for taking a crucial step in our democratic process.
If you have questions, please see notes on the VFA site itself, or our FAQ/voting-help list here.
Encourage all your American friends to also. Basically the whole direction of the US government for the next four years is at stake in this election.
Please do your part and VOTE!
We make voting from here simple as 1-2-3! See this Jakarta Post article about us from Thursday, Sept 6, 2012. We take the uncertainty out of the process for you -- ensure you get your ballot and vote now -- your vote is IMPORTANT click here!
Making the Vote Count
from The Jakarta Post, Sept 6, 2012 (p 21)
article by Trisha Sertori, photos By J. B. Djwan
With an estimated 3 to 6 million US expats dotted around the globe and a knife edge swing between candidates Barack Obama and Mitt Romney in the November US presidential elections, pundits are suggesting the US expat vote could tip the scale in the greatest (political) race on earth.
Some US expats in Bali are taking this possibility seriously and working to ensure every potential absentee vote from both sides of the political divide is registered and counted ... read the rest of this article
- Yankees 5, Red Sox 3: Mark Teixeira’s Ninth-Inning Grand Slam Lifts Yankees From Brink of Elimination
- Mets 5, Marlins 2: Jay Bruce Homer Helps Mets Beat Marlins and Protect Wild-Card Lead
- Cubs Reward Theo Epstein With Five More Years
- Oh, brother: The trash-writing starts early at the Ryder Cup
- Sports Business: Arnold Palmer and His Savvy Agent Set the Bar for Pitchmen
GET READY TO VOTE FROM HERE NOW!
Have you requested your ballot so you can vote from here this November? If not, NOW is the time to do it -- register soon in order to vote in the November general election and request your ballot for the ultra-important 2016 Presidential, Senate, and Congressional elections (as well as other Governor and local elections).
SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS EXPLAINED
At the Consular Town Hall meeting June 17, 2016 in Sanur, Bali, the Manila Social Security office head, Darrin Morgan, gave a presentation to 75 Americans on Social Security benefits. Some of hte major points covered included:
- get info from the ssa.gov website about all aspects of Social Security. It should be your first stop.
- if you need to contact them, contact the Manila office by email at FBU.Manila@ssa.gov. Don't try to call/go there otherwise.
- If receiving benefits and don't use your foreign address, and you're out of the US more than 90 days/year, they will suspend your benefits for at least 8 months if they find out. So use your foreign address
He presented a lot of slides, though only discussed some of them briefly. You can download a copy of the slides here.
How does Obamacare affect us living abroad? We have a summary of the major impact it has on you. And do note that ignoring this law can result in some severe penalties -- but many of us are not subject to these. Read this brief article to see how it affects you!
Those dreaded FATCA/FBAR tax rules are changing for the better. Four prominent organizations of Americans living abroad have been meeting with IRS and Congressional representatives to find a sensible course for the majority of us living overseas. Read this report on progress from Democrats Abroad.
American Income Tax Info for US Expats Want to learn something about how to deal with US income tax matters? Need help with filing? Have questions? read this article >
Questions about Indonesian taxes? Here's an article that can help.
New IRS Rules Affecting Us With severe penalties coming up, you must now report any foreign accounts with a sum total value of $10,000 or more, and higher amounts are subject to lots more restrictions. click for more >
We send out latest important Consular messages to our email list. Sign up here.
Also you can register with the US State Dept to get emergency info and all US Consular messages whereever you travel.
If you don't want to sign up with them, sign up for our email list and we'll forward important US Consular messages to you
If you have non-US citizen spouse/kids, big changes afoot will negatively affect you.
click for more >
TIME TO VOTE FROM HERE NOW!
Have you requested your ballot so you can vote from here this November? If not, NOW is the time to do it -- register soon in order to vote in the primary races and request your ballot for the ultra-important 2016 Presidential, Senate, and Congressional elections (as well as other Governor and local elections).